The township of Pauanui is situated on the east coast of the Coromandel Peninsula about a 2 hours drive or a 30-minute flight from Auckland. On one side of the Pauanui peninsula you can spend time on the 3km long golden ocean beach or on the other, the tidal estuary looking across to the town of Tairua.
Pauanui has around 1000 permanent residents which grows to over 20,000 with holiday home owners and visitors during the NZ summer period Dec-Feb.
Pauanui is a great base to explore the attractions of the Coromandel Peninsula or just to relax by the beach and put your feet up.
Where to eat?
- The Lime Room
- Pauanui Bakery & Pizza Shack
- JKs Kitchen & Bar
- The Kiwi Outdoor Oven Company
- Cabana Cafe & Bar
- Pauanui Takeaways
- The Chocolate Pretzel
- Miha Restaurant at Puka Park Resort
- Cedar Grill Cafe & Bar
What to do?
Whatever you're in to, Pauanui offers it all:
- Tennis (3 sets of Tennis courts - Get the keys from the Sports Club or buy tokens)
- Golf (2 x 9 hole golf courses) plus Lakes Resort International 18 hole a five minute drive away.
- Bush walks - Pauanui Mountain Track - a steep climb from the south end of Pauanui Beach, trek to the top (400m/1200ft) the view is worth it! See the view here
- Boat hire
- Jet Skiing
- Board surfing or boogie boarding
For the more adventurous
- Sea Kayaking
- Scuba Diving
- Charters - Deep Sea Fishing
- Tairua - only a 20 min drive from Pauanui (25 kms)
- Whitianga - the area's main settlement great for shopping - 1.5 hour drive (67 kms)
- Whangamata - a 30 min drive south - a great surf beach
- Tairua - an ocean beach for the serious surfers
- Hot Water Beach - for two hours either side of low tide, you can dig yourself a hole in the sand and enjoy the hot spring waters. Don't forget your spade!
- Hahei - A great beach to visit
- Cathedral Cove - quintessential Coromandel coast scenery at its best. A must see and a great walk (around 1.5 - 2 return) Don't forget the picnic!
- Cook's Beach, Flaxmill Bay - safe sheltered beaches for the family
- Front Bay - catch the ferry from Ferry Landing across to Whitianga (only 2 mins and you're there!)
- Supervalue Supermarket
- Pauanui Liquor
- Video hire
- Marine centre
- Doctor's surgery - part time
- Pauanui Information Centre
- Pauanui/Tairua Ferry (operating every hour in summer)
Weather & Tides
- What's the weather like in Pauanui now? See for yourself...
- Local Thames Forecast & Tidal Information
- Tidal Forecaster - up to 28 days